Thursday, July 2, 2015

1984 Sikh Riots - Jagdish Kaur's description

First of all note that this particular post is not written by me but it is taken from a genuine wall post. It was initially shared by Arvind Kejriwal more than a year and half ago during his first tenure as the CM of Delhi. Facebook posts are lost in time and difficult to get back.


Jagdish Kaur is one of the victims and eye witness to 1984 massacre. She came to my house a few days back. Listening to her story was heart rending. Manish Sisodia recounts our meeting with her -
” 72 वर्षीय जगदीश कौर जब यह बात कह रही थीं तो मुझे(मनीष सिसोदिया) लगा कि शायद अब रो देंगी... लेकिन नहीं, 1984 के दंगों के बाद से इन्साफ के लिए लड़ते लड़ते उनकी आँखों के आंसू शायद अब सूख चुके हैं ...आगे की आपबीती जगदीश कौर जी ने कुछ यूँ सुनाई -----“ये नाग हैं, पूरे देश को बेच देंगे, किसी को नहीं छोड़ेंगे.... मैं मरने से नहीं डरती... दुनिया की किसी अदालत में जाना पड़े लेकिन छोडूंगी नहीं..... मेरे पति और जवान बेटे को मेरे सामने मारा था इन्होंने... “मेरे तो पिता स्वतंत्रता सेनानी... थे, हम तो कांग्रेसी थे, पक्के वाले... जब ये मेरे हसबैंड को मारने लगे तो मैंने कहा था इनको कि इंदिरा गांधी तो हमारी भी नेता थीं, हमें भी बहुत दुःख हो रहा है... लेकिन वो नहीं माने.. मेरे पति को वहीं मार दिया, बड़ा बेटा भागा तो उसको भी मेरे सामने ही आग लगा दी.... मुझे उसे बचाने भी नहीं दिया... मेरी आँखों के सामने..,”“ छोटे बच्चों को पड़ोस के पंडित जी के घर छिपाकर मैं पुलिस के पास भागी... वहां दरोगा बोला – अभी तो और मरेंगे.. मैं वापस आई तो ये लोग पंडित को भी मारने पहुँच गए, क्योंकि उसने हमें शरण दी थी..... हम वहां से भाकर वापस अपने घर आ गए.... बच्चों को मैंने छत पर छिपा दिया.. पूरी रात मैं कभी बेटे की बाड़ी के पास बैठती तो कभी हसबैंड की बाड़ी के पास बैठ जाती... अगले दिन मैं फिर पुलिस चौकी गई.. वहां पर तो प्लानिंग बन रही थी... दरोगा, दंगाइयों को कह रहा था कि तुम पहले पहुँचो, हंगामा करो, मैं पीछे से आता हूँ... मैं वहां से भागी... एक पुलिस की गाडी खड़ी थी.. मैं वहां पहुंची...मैंने कहा अब तो बचा लो, अब तो बहुत मर गए... तभी भीड़ वहां आ गई... पीछे से सज्जन कुमार आया, उसने पुलिस की जीप में लगा माइक लेकर आवाज़ लगानी चालू कर दी.. एक भी सिख नहीं बचना चाहिए...फिर वो पुलिस के साथ ही बैठकर चला गया... मैं दौड़कर वापस घर पहुंची...... घर में दो बच्चे छिपे थे, दो लाशें पड़ी थीं... मैं रोती रही...घर के बाहर मेरे भाई को, उनके बेटों को भी जला दिया था...वहां पहुंची तो पुलिस वाला, उनसे (दंगाइयों से) पूछ रहा था.. कितने मुर्ग भूने आज? .. दो दिन तक .....यहाँ से वहां, भागती रही.. लेकिन कोई ये कहने वाला नहीं मिला कि तेरे बच्चों को हम बचा लेंगे... रात भर गोलियां चलती थीं.... तीसरे दिन पडोसी त्यागी जी आये, डरते ... उनके साथ मिलकर मैंन घर के सोफे को तोड़ा, ... जो थोड़ा बहुत और फर्नीचर था उसको तोड़ा और अपने पति और बेटे के लिए चिता बनाई... दो दिन से पड़ी लाशों का अंतिम संस्कार मैंने अपने घर में ही कर दिया...”“.......मैं कह रही हूँ कि मैंने देखा और कोर्ट कह रहा है कि सबूत नहीं है...छोडूंगी नहीं मैं इन्हें, चाहे दुनिया कि जिस अदालत में जाना पडेगा...”मैं और अरविंद, स्तब्ध , सुन रहे थे.... अंत में बस इतना ही कह सके...” आपका जीतना ज़रूरी है, इंसानियत के लिए.. “... इनके हौसले के सामने हर थकावट, हर पराजय छोटी है.. सलाम.

Translated in English

"When 72year old Jagdish Kaur was narrating me this story I(Manish Sisodiya) thought she may weep, but it seems like her tears have dried after she has been ever fighting for justice since the 1984 riots. This is what Jagdish Kaur said "These people are all snakes, they will sell the entire nation,they won't leave anyone. I am not scared of death,I may have to go to any court on earth but I won't give up. My husband and my young sons were murdered in front of me. My father was a freedom fighter, we supported Congress. When this people started killing my husband I told them Indira Gandhi was our leader as well. We are sad about her death. But they didn't hear at all. My husband was killed, when my elder son tried to flee, they burnt him alive in front of me, they didn't even let me save him. I hid the kid in our neighbour Panditji's house and ran to the Police station. The Officer said "More People are going to die". When I came back people gathered to kill Panditji because he had given shelter to us, from there we ran back to our home.  I hid the kids in the terrace, I spent the entire night sitting in front of my husband's body or my son's body. Next day I went to the police station, there was planning going on there, the officer was telling the rioters "You go there first create ruckus , we will go there later". I ran away from there. I saw a police car, I ran towards it . I asked them to save us , now many are dead. At that time a crowd gathered there, Sajjan Kumar came from behind, he picked up the mike from the police jeep and started shouting "Not a single Sikh should survive".  Then he sat in that jeep and went away with the police.  I ran towards our home at home there were two dead bodies and two kids. I kept crying . Out side my home my brother and his sons were also burnt alive. When I reached there the police officer was asking the rioters "How many chickens did you cook today?" For two days I kept running here and there but there was no one who would say , "we will save your kids". For the entire night one can hear the sound of bullets. On the third day our neighbour Tyagiji came. In a scared state of mind I broke the our sofa. Whatever little furniture was left I broke them and made the funeral pyre of my husband and kids. I did the funeral of the dead bodies that were rotting for two days in my home ,in the house itself. I am saying that I have seen all this and court is saying that there is no proof. I will not spare them, no matter which court on earth I have to go".

I(Manish Sisodiya) and Arvind(Arvind Kejriwal) were stunned. At the end we were just able to say "Your victory is important for humanity". Looking at her spirit , we fell all fatigue every defeat is too small. 

We salute the spirit of the brave woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment